Monthly contact lenses have many benefits:
- Some monthly contact lenses can be worn for up to seven days straight without taking them out of your eyes.
- Wearing contact lenses not approved for sleeping can pose risks to your eyes because the lenses deprive your eyes of oxygen. These risks include cornea infections and corneal neovascularisation, where blood vessels begin intruding into the whites of your eyes.
- During the day, having your eyes open brings in oxygen to your cornea. Monthly and other extended wear contact lenses are typically silicone hydrogel lenses that have higher gas permeability: they allow five or more times the oxygen through the lens compared to standard contact lenses.
- Monthly contact lenses may be slightly lower in overall cost than dailies since you purchase fewer lenses. You discard them every month rather than every day, so you only need 24 contact lenses every year. For the eco-conscious wearer, this also translates into less waste.
- In addition to letting more oxygen through to keep your eyes clear and white, the silicone hydrogel material in monthly contact lenses can also be more comfortable. Your eyes can breathe better while still staying moist, a balance that is achieved with better contact lens technology.